The Official Political Action Committee for the Texas Mortgage Bankers Association
“TMBPAC contributions are critical to our industry, ensuring that we can effectively advocate for important policies and legislation” Jim Clapp, TMBA President 2020-2021
About the TMBPAC
Mission Statement: The TMBPAC’s mission is to provide funds and direction for action to be taken on legislative initiatives. Our goal is to provide funds necessary to promote TMBA legislative objectives, while encouraging total member involvement of contributions from each mortgage banker in the State of Texas.
Contribution Information: All PAC contributions, like all other political contributions, must be made by individuals. Contributions can be accepted from individuals, sole proprietorships, partnerships and other political action committees. Corporations cannot fund TMBPAC. Mortgage bankers who operate as an individual or on an entrepreneur basis can contribute in that individual capacity. All political contributions are of public record and all PAC’s are required to make periodic reports to the Texas Ethic’s Commission of all contributions made to candidates. A PAC can make a contribution to another PAC unless it is precluded by its bylaws or governing documents. Contributions made to the TMBPAC are neither deductible as a business expense nor as a charitable contribution.
Why It's Important
TMBA faces the challenge to protect Texans in the real estate finance industry by proactively supporting legislative initiatives that move us forward. It is important for us to draw upon our collective experience to educate the Texas Legislature about financial services that are beneficial to Texans, as well as the real estate finance industry. What happens in Austin is critical to the ability of mortgage lenders to engage in mortgage lending fairly and profitably in this State.
Your TMBPAC contribution works collectively with that of other mortgage industry professionals and go directly to candidates who share our philosophies and listen to our viewpoints. The TMBPAC is a vehicle for individuals to collectively become involved in the political process in support of issues important to their work and lives. Help protect the mortgage industry in Texas by making a contribution to the TMBPAC today!
Collectively, we can make a greater impact in shaping elections than we can individually. Make a contribution to the TMBPAC and join with other industry professionals to help determine who gets elected to public office in this State and who will make the crucial decisions that affect our businesses.
- Preserving the Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending as an independent agency within the Finance Commission to oversee the mortgage industry and state chartered thrifts.
- Supported legislation repealing antiquated code prohibiting home equity loans for agricultural property owners.
- Supported legislation allowing county clerks to permit recording of a paper printout of an electronic documents in the real property records expanding the ability to have electronic closings in the 180 Texas counties that do not have electronic document recording capability.
- Supported legislation amending the Texas SAFE Act to mirror federal act changes granting temporary authority to originate to a registered residential mortgage loan originator moving to a non-depository lender and to an out of state licensed residential mortgage loan originator.
- Prevented multiple efforts to impose additional requirements on mortgage loan servicers.
- Prevented legislation that would have elevated a subcontractors lien ahead of a mortgage lien and another proposal that would have prohibited a lender from enforcing a deed of trust if the borrower had claimed age or veteran deferrals for property taxes.